!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Past. Present. Future: recession, recounts, reflection

Past. Present. Future

Sunday, November 30, 2008

recession, recounts, reflection

after a month of isolation from the world in some forsaken corner down under, i’ve come home to find out that the world’s financial situation is still in a mess, almost all under-developed government institutions have declared themselves bankrupt (or r going to do so) and bangkok’s still one big messy capital. not to mention the recent mubai terrorist case. things don’t look too rosy for this sunny island too; retrenchment, recession, and for me, reflection.

the world in turmoil. made me come to wish that a month of ignorance truly was some kind of bliss.

but thats for world leaders to worry about, i guess. all i can do is just read about them in the papers. life currently, has been too good to me. i wake up everyday with no responsibilities, no commitments, no stress, no jeeps to worry about, and no one to talk to if i didn’t feel like talking.

yup sums it up, the void that was once army is Boring with a capital b. its even harder to find inspiration in the void. i’ve not even drawn or painted anything proper in the 2 free weeks i had since i was back.

had this crazy idea to do a huge canvas in the great artistic tradition of the great masters; you know the kind with those huge figures that overwhelm you with their size and impeccable technique... to tell you the truth, it has been hard to come up with just one idea. its a dry spell for me. i want it to be my ord painting. something about my army experience. doesn’t help that the figures and objects i need to get into my painting are so-called forbidden images from camp and outfield trainings.

i just had to base my inspiration on my W images, which, though great as they may seem, don’t really allow me alot of room for freedom. figures, this happens to everything army-related. anyway, whenever i want to explore a new figure position, and if i’ve not already taken a picture of it in W, its another idea thrown out of the window. cos i need a reference picture for everything i’m going to paint, if i want it to turn up realistic. relying on imagination to conjure up details is something i try not to go into. proportions and minute details always end up looking funny.

anyway to kill boredom, i’ve just completed 2 entire seasons of Friends on rented dvd. (can u believe the time i have on my hands?!) its an addictive watch, i tell you. and it keeps the endorphins coming.

anyway, for the record, my birthday celebration with my army buddies was simple but memorable. touched. it really meant alot. and nov 22’s celebration at morton’s cum supper at joo chiat was also a turning point; in my relationship with god bro. n it made my godma so happy on her birthday.